Stabbed teen recovering
A 28-year-old fisheries worker arrested after a teenager was stabbed in Picton has denied possession of an offensive weapon and wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
Nathan Russell Bond, 28, of Picton, yesterday appeared in the Blenheim District Court, where he was remanded on bail to a Nelson address until May 19 for a case review hearing. Bond is not allowed to visit Marlborough, except for court appearances.
Meanwhile, the family of the 16-year-old Blenheim boy who was stabbed say he is lucky to be alive.
The boy's father, Chris Roberts, contacted the Express yesterday to say he had been with his son, Josh, in Wairau Hospital all night. He said his son was stabbed in his head, lung, back and his stomach.
"The last 24 hours have been pretty hard. He got stabbed six times. He was so close to not being here. He could have died. It wasn't a pretty sight."
The incident happened outside Picton's skatepark on the corner of Wairau Rd and Auckland St.
Mr Roberts said his son left a party in Picton to get something to eat when he was stabbed by a man he did not know.
A St John Ambulance spokesman told The Express on Sunday that the victim was taken to Wairau Hospital by ambulance about 10.45pm with a single stab wound.
Mr Roberts said Josh had two collapsed lungs and one stab wound which narrowly missed his liver.
A hospital spokesman confirmed yesterday that Josh was in a stable condition and would be discharged within the next two days.
Mr Roberts flew to Blenheim from Christchurch on Sunday morning.
"When I first got the phone call I said ‘oh great' - nobody rings at that time unless something has happened."
Mr Roberts hoped to be able to take him to his mother's home in Blenheim tomorrow afternoon, he said. "He's really sore and his days are all stuffed up but he's talking."
The Marlborough Express