Court appearances

00:43, Mar 19 2014

Joshua Kerry Keenan, 25, accepted two charges in the Blenheim District Court yesterday of breaching a restraining order.

Mr Harris said the Witherlea man had had a restraining order in place since 2010, in relation to the victim.

Between January 2 and January 14 this year, Keenan sent the woman 48 messages on Facebook, under a false name. Four of the messages included offensive photographs.

The victim had previously made it clear she did not want to have contact with Keenan, and had not replied to any of his messages.

He had no reason to contact her, Mr Harris said.

Judge Davidson remanded Keenan on bail until June 9 for sentencing.


Broghan Wyatt Rakete, 17, was remanded on two charges of theft to reappear on April 8.

Jessica Smith, 35, was convicted after admitting to driving at three times the legal breath alcohol limit.

The Rapaura woman was breath tested about 12.10am on February 25, and the test showed she had a breath alcohol level of 1206mcg.

Smith was fined $800 and disqualified from driving for seven months.

Raphael de Bastier, 21, a Blenheim vineyard worker, was convicted for drink-driving.

He was stopped by police about 1.45am on March 8 for a routine check.

An evidential breath test showed he had a breath alcohol level of 634mcg.

De Bastier said he had been drinking wine and beer.

He was fined $500, and disqualified for six months.

Reuben James Uatuku, 43, appeared for drink-driving.

The Havelock man was driving along Queen Charlotte Dr about 5.15pm on March 15 when he failed to navigate a bend. He turned hard to try to correct himself, and ended up driving into a ditch.

He underwent a breath test, which showed he had a breath-alcohol level of 677mcg.

Uatuku was fined $600 and disqualified for six months.

Michael Andrew Bond, 33, was remanded without plea until April 8 a charge of common assault.

Anthony Malcolm Scott, 27, of Picton, was convicted and discharged on a charge of breaching a community work sentence.

Arunbey Riki Lou Lambert, 43, was discharged without conviction on a charge of breaching his community work.

Teagan Hana Macdonald, 18, was sentenced to 40 hours' community work after pleading guilty to driving while disqualified on March 7.

The Renwick woman's lawyer, Laurie Murdoch, said her client had been at work and her partner came to get her.

He had been drinking and Macdonald did not think he should drive, she said.

Jesse Wayne Barnes, 22, was convicted and discharged on a charge of breaching a sentence of community work.

Judith Fay Cross, 54, accepted a charge of drink-driving.

Mr Harris said the woman was at the BP service station in Blenheim about 10.45pm on February 23.

A concerned person contacted the police because they were concerned Cross should not be driving because of her intoxicated state.

She was then stopped by police in Main St and said she had recently consumed alcohol.

A blood alcohol test was completed, showing her blood alcohol level to be 177mg.

Her lawyer, Laurie Murdoch, said Cross had recently given up smoking, a 30-year habit, and had wanted to go out to buy some cigarettes.

She was very embarrassed, Ms Murdoch said.

Judge Davidson fined Cross $650 and disqualified her for six months.

Samara Wilkinson, 31, pleaded guilty to drink-driving when she appeared yesterday.

Mr Harris said the Picton cleaner was stopped on State Highway 1 because of excessive speed about 7.54pm on February 22.

She underwent a breath screening test, which showed she had a breath alcohol level of 467mcg.

Her lawyer, Laurie Murdoch, said her client had been driving because her young dog needed to get to a vet urgently, and the Picton one was closed.

She had had only two beers, she said, but had not eaten.

Wilkinson was fined $300 and disqualified for six months.

Zac Peter Wilson, 17, was sentenced to 100 hours' community work and nine months' supervision when he appeared for sentence for assault with intent to injure.

The Blenheim fisherman also pleaded guilty to breaching a sentence of supervision, and was convicted and discharged on that charge.

Joshua James Brown, 17, pleaded guilty to possessing cannabis and a bong for smoking cannabis.

The Blenheim builder was driving on March 6 and was stopped by police, who noticed the smell of cannabis coming from his car.

They searched it and found the bong and a joint.

Judge Davidson fined Brown $150 for having the cannabis and convicted and discharged him for having the bong.

Lucifer Schuster, 17, pleaded guilty to shoplifting.

Mr Harris said the Springlands vineyard worker went to The Warehouse on March 10, about 1pm.

He took a T-shirt, singlet, shorts and a jacket into a changing room and put all the items on except the jacket.

He left the jacket, and the labels from the rest of the clothes in the changing room, before leaving the shop without attempting to pay for the clothes.

The total value of the items was $66.98.

Judge Davidson convicted Schuster and ordered him to come up for sentence if called within six months.

He was also ordered to repay the cost of the clothes within two months.

Joanne Lee Kerr, 30, pleaded guilty to two charges of using a document to obtain a pecuniary advantage in court yesterday.

Mr Harris said the Blenheim woman was at the complainant's address in December and while she was there she took a chequebook belonging to the occupant.

She then tried to bank five cheques, totalling $150, into her own account on separate occasions.

None of the cheques was accepted.

On the second charge, the court heard Kerr went to The Warehouse pharmacy with a prescription form from Wairau Hospital. The prescription was for two different drugs, including lorazapam.

The pharmacist suspected the script was fraudulent and phoned the police.

Kerr said the pills were going to be for her own use.

Judge Davidson remanded her until April 23 for sentence.

Christopher John Wilson, 46, was remanded without plea on a charge of male assaults female to apply for legal aid.

Luke James Samuels, 33, appeared for sentence on four charges.

Samuels accepted the charges, of resisting police, disorderly behaviour, wilful trespass and failing to answer police bail.

The Nelson man was fined $100 on the first three charges, which related to the same incident on February 16, and was discharged on the failing to answer police bail charge.



The Marlborough Express