Police to reopen case of missing man

03:22, Jul 25 2013
Terence Charles Hendry mystery
FRONT PAGE MYSTERY: Terence Charles Hendry's disappearance in The Press on July 18, 1991.

Somebody in Kaikoura may have a clue to solving a 22-year-old missing person case.

Canterbury police are hoping to jog some memories in a renewed effort to solve the mystery of Terence Hendry's disappearance.

Mr Hendry, 32, from Christchurch went missing from his Woolston home on June 20 1991 and has not been seen or heard from since.

Peter Pitcaithly
HAUNTED: Peter Pitcaithly believes his best friend Terence Hendry was murdered. Police are taking a fresh look at the 22-year-old missing person cold case.

After a recent review of unsolved missing person files, Christchurch detectives are again looking for answers as to what happened to Mr Hendry and are appealing for anyone with information to contact police.

Detective Inspector Tom Fitzgerald said inquiries would extend to the Kaikoura area and the West Coast, where Mr Hendry had connections and was known to holiday. "After reviewing the file a number of lines of inquiry will be vigorously followed up over the coming weeks," he said.

"At this stage we have an open mind on what's happened. Given the length of time that has elapsed with no sightings, however, we believe Mr Hendry is dead and we clearly can't rule out foul play."


Terence Charles Hendry
DEAFENING SILENCE: Terence Charles Hendry has been missing since 1991.

June 20, 1991 was a cold, miserable day in Christchurch. The city was being blasted by a bitter southerly snow storm and many people had stayed home to avoid the snow and ice-covered roads.

About 4.30pm Mr Hendry left his Woolston home, where he lived with his parents and brother. He drove off in his dilapidated orange Datsun 120Y, registration HS359. Neither he nor the vehicle have been seen since.

Mr Fitzgerald said that prior to his departure Mr Hendry told his parents he was going to the post office at St Martins to withdraw money. As his car had little fuel and he had no money in his wallet he asked to borrow $10 to buy petrol.

His parents lent him the money but when he departed he left it behind.

Mr Hendry's distinctive hand-painted car had no front passenger seat and would have attracted attention because of its poor condition.

"It was established that he didn't make it to the post office, which was about two kilometres from his address," said Mr Fitzgerald. "Despite extensive television and media coverage following his disappearance there have been no confirmed sightings of Terence or his vehicle."

At the time of his disappearance Mr Hendry was suffering from a mental health condition that required him to take medication but this was left behind, as were all his possessions and passport.

"We know he had planned two holidays with friends for the month following his disappearance," Mr Fitzgerald said. "One was travelling from Australia to join him and Mr Hendry was said to have been excited about catching up with this friend."

He was known to holiday on the West Coast and in the Kaikoura area. Mr Fitzgerald said investigations would include inquiries into past connections in those areas. Fishing was his greatest passion.

Since 1991 his mother and father have died, but he is survived by a brother and three sisters.

Anyone with information can contact Detective Sergeant Al Lester at Christchurch police on 03 363 7400.

To provide information anonymously contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Kaikoura Star