Referee calls off match early

23:21, Jun 22 2014

The outcome of Marlborough Development's division one football match against Nelson Suburbs in Blenheim is yet to be decided after it was abandoned on Saturday.

It was called off in the 70th minute by Marlborough referee Dave Baker. After a second Suburbs player was sent from the field, Baker was allegedly subject to audible abuse from the visiting management and decided to end the match 20 minutes early.

After the match Baker did not want to comment on his reasons for the early abandonment.

Nelson Bays Football will hold a meeting this week to decide whether the game will be replayed or if Development, who led 3-2 at the time of abandonment, will take the three competition points.

Not only was the conclusion of the match at A&P Park unusual, so were all five goals.

The first went to the home side in the form of an own goal in the 24th minute.


A back pass from a Suburbs defender eluded keeper Simon Capenerhurst, who was struggling with a groin injury, and nestled in the back of the net.

However, Suburbs replied emphatically, scoring two goals in the following six minutes. A defensive error from Development saw keeper Nick Stanton in two minds whether or not to claim the ball. Suburbs striker Wesley Olea capitalised on Development's indecisiveness, dribbling around Stanton and tapping home.

Olea then scored an equaliser moments later, an intended cross finding its way into the top right-hand corner to put the visitors in front.

But Olea was sent from the field within three minutes after receiving a second yellow card for dissent.

Development did not take long to get level, Nick Kelly finding the back of the net in fortuitous fashion. The defender found himself in a race with keeper Capenerhurst to claim the ball, his final effort ricocheting off both keeper and his own body to roll into the goal.

Development then found what could be the ultimate winner in the 60th minute, a corner from Jordy Columbus curling untouched into the top left corner.

A second Suburbs' player was sent from the field after an ugly incident during a Suburbs' attack in the 70th minute, moments before the match was called off.

The Marlborough Express