Holden recalls VF Commodores
Holden has announced the recall of 42,000 VF Commodores, including almost 4000 in New Zealand, over a potential fault with the front seat belts.
The recall affects the majority vehicle built since the Australian-produced large car was launched into the Australian market in May 2013.
In a statement issued Monday afternoon, Holden said the recall applied to certain model year 2014 (MY14) VF Commodore and Caprice variants.
"A condition has been identified where the pretensioner wiring harness on certain MY14 VF Commodore and WN Caprice vehicles may make contact with a bolt at the base of the seat belt buckle assembly," the statement said.
"In this circumstance, if the pretensioner wiring harness develops wear as a result of contacting the bolt, the airbag warning light may illuminate on the instrument cluster and there is a risk that the pretensioner may not deploy in the event of an accident."
Holden said there have been no reports of any incidents or injuries as a result of this problem. It was discovered during an incident at the factory.
It’s believed that Holden has told all of its dealers not to sell any new Commodores or transfer current stock to other dealers.
The recall affects approximately 41,933 vehicles in Australia and 3744 in New Zealand.
VF owners are being urged to contact their dealer to organise an inspection. The procedure will come at no cost to owners.
The timing of the recall is far from ideal for Holden. Earlier this month the company reported its biggest ever financial loss. In the 2013 financial year Holden lost more than $553 million after tax.
In December, the iconic car maker confirmed it would close its car making facilities in 2017, in the face of dwindling sales and increased competition from imported brands.
Sydney Morning Herald