One dead after Auckland shooting

Last updated 16:30 21/05/2014

Police have set up two cordons in West Auckland after a shooting incident left one man dead.

Ranui/massey 1
David White Zoom
Friends of the deceased near the scene of a shooting on Luanda Rd in west Auckland.
auckland shoot
CLOSED OFF: Police have shut down Luanda Dr in Ranui.

SlideshowAuckland shooting

Related Links

West Auckland shooting Shooting in Ranui

Relevant offers

Police say the man shot dead in west Auckland was found in the middle of the road when they arrived at the Ranui cul de sac this morning.

Do you have more information? Email us at

The 23-year-old was killed in a shooting that left another man, aged 20, in a serious condition. The second victim is undergoing surgery at Auckland hospital this afternoon.

Detective Inspector Bruce Scott said the emergency services were called to the Luanda Dr just after 11am.

About 10 minutes later they were also called to another scene on Triangle Rd, in Massey, where two people attempted to take another critically injured person to hospital.

The two events were related and the vehicle used to transport the injured man was being forensically examined.

Scott said the investigation was in its early stages and he couldn't confirm reports the shootings were the result of gang tensions.

"That's part of what we're looking at but at the moment we can't say."

"We've got quite a few people we're talking to...neighbours, people in the vicinity and hospital staff ."

Two people associated with the shooting were being spoken to by police.

One gun has been recovered and Scott said "we believe more than one person fired shots."

Luanda Drive resident of 25 years Robert Walters said he was out collecting his mail when he heard two gunshots.

Seconds later, a dark-coloured vehicle reversed out of a driveway four houses down from his own at high speed, he said.

"It came down and disappeared at a hell of a rate of knots down Waitemata Drive."

George Hiku, 17, who lives next door to the cordoned off house, said he heard loud arguments coming from the address last night.

His father Roger, who was awoken by the gunshots this morning, said the people next door had moved in at the beginning of the year. 

This afternoon a man claiming that his nephew and niece were in the house tried to break the cordon before being stopped by police.

A friend, Jan from Henderson, said the man's niece and nephew, Joshua and Neilia, lived at the house.

She repeated "Josh is dead" a couple of times but would not say any more.


Walters said the area used to be "rough as guts", but described it as a nice place to live now.

Nearby Birdwood School was put in lock down until midday. Principal Mike Carswell-Griffiths said they were told of incident by parents not police.

"Student safety is paramount and at 11.30am I locked the school down and called the police who also advised me to do so.

Wendy Rowsell, who lives in Luanda Ave, was told by police to stay indoors.

She heard two "loud bangs" this morning, she said.

"I've never heard gunshots before but that's what it sounded like. There were two shots seconds apart.

"About 30 seconds later I heard tyres screeching. I'm supposed to be going to class at Unitec but I'm not allowed to leave."

Ad Feedback

At least four police cars, an ambulance and dog handlers were in her road.

"It's a bit scary having it happen so close to your house especially with the stabbings two days ago."

Meanwhile, armed police are guarding a black-coloured vehicle in Triangle Road in Massey, which has been cordoned off and police were redirecting traffic.

The car was draped in a tarpaulin and police said the area was "a crime scene ."

It is the second violent incident in the Ranui area this week.

On Monday the bodies of Farhat Malik and her daughter Sidra Malik were found stabbed to death in their home in Ranui. Farhat Malik's husband Ishrat Malik, 55, has appeared in court, charged with the women's murder.

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content