Timely visit saves man from fire

CARALISE TRAYES
Last updated 15:49 29/05/2014

Relevant offers

A visit from a caregiver saved the life of an elderly man asleep while his house was on fire.

The caregiver arrived at a house in Hauiti Dr, Warkworth at about 8am today.

''When he answered the door the caregiver noticed the house was filled with thick, black smoke,'' Warkworth senior firefighter Devan Flewellyn said.

''The man had been breathing in the smoke while sleeping in bed. The caregiver took him outside and closed the door, calling 111.''

Firefighters arrived and found the smoke came from clothing close to a heater.

''The clothes had ignited and started burning the house,'' Flewellyn said. 

''We cleared all the smoke and made the house safe.''

The man was taken to North Shore Hospital in Auckland with smoke inhalation.

Firefighters said the situation could have been a lot worse if the caregiver had not arrived early.

The house had no working smoke alarms.

''That would have given an early warning of the fire to the man or to nearby residents,'' Flewellyn said.

''If you do not have a working smoke alarm you can contact your closest fire station, leave a message, and they will get back to you to organise a home fire safety check,'' Flewellyn said.

Ad Feedback

- Auckland

Special offers
Opinion poll

The lower drink-driving limits from December are:

Great - too much carnage on our roads.

Overkill - targets moderate drinkers, not the heavies

Still too little - make it zero tolerance.

Sensible - punishment is in line with lesser breaches of limit.

Vote Result

Related story: Drink-drive limits lowered

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?