Live updates: weather lashes north
Winds in the upper North Island this morning reached tropical cyclone levels, gusting up to 170kmh, bringing down trees, cutting power and damaging properties.
We have the latest updates below on what's happening as Auckland and Waikato clean up, and the storm moves south.
* Winds reached up to 170kmh in Auckland.
* A 12-year-old girl was rescued from a flooded river in Blenheim after being swept away while walking to school.
* A 14-year-old Auckland boy was briefly hospitalised after the roof of his bedroom collapsed.
* Tens of thousands of customers are still without power.
* Heavy rain warning in place for Western Bay of Plenty including Rotorua, Gisborne and Hawke's Bay as storm moves south.
* Flooding is affecting Hamilton and roads near Thames. Slips have closed the coast road north of Thames.
Leave a comment if you've seen something in your area that people should be aware of, or send photos and information to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you're using the Stuff iPhone app, please update to the latest version to view this coverage.