Alleged sex attacker had 'split personality'

01:50, Jun 16 2014

Two Christchurch prostitutes say they were sexually attacked by a client who seemed to have a split personality, a court has been told.

One woman said the man held a knife to her throat and yelled, "Don't you know who I am?" as he forced her to perform a sex act.

Daniel Juan Daly, 28, is facing 13 charges at the Christchurch High Court, with the Crown alleging he attacked the two women in January 2013.

The charges include kidnapping, sexually violating, and twice assaulting one woman using a knife as a weapon. He is also charged with kidnapping the other woman, assaulting her, five charges of sexually violating her, attempted sexual violation, and rape.

Daly denies the 13 offences.

Crown prosecutor Deirdre Elsmore told the jury Daly had picked up the first woman about 8pm. When they were in her house, he held a knife against her throat, and yelled: "Don't you know who I am?"


When the woman told him he had hurt her, he became calm and concerned, she said. He said he would look after her. It was like a split personality, she said. She escaped from him at a service station.

The second woman agreed to have sex with him for the night for $1000 and went to the YMCA where he was staying.

The woman told Daly he had hurt her and she wanted to leave, and she did not care about how much money she was being paid.

When she got up to leave, Daly was acting as if there was nothing wrong, and talked about them going to the beach together that day.

Elsmore said consent would be the key issue in the trial.

"A prostitute is entitled to withhold consent to sexual acts the same as anyone else. Paying a prostitute does not give you carte blanche to do whatever you like," she said.

Defence counsel Moana Cole urged the jury to not to jump to any immediate judgment about Daly because much of what the Crown said was disputed.

It was agreed that he had met the women and had contracted to have sex with them. The sexual acts were consensual and some were denied, and other allegations about kidnapping and the weapon were denied, she said.

The trial is expected to last five days.

The Press