CTV engineer faces disciplinary action
The man who designed the CTV building, which killed 115 people when it collapsed in the 2011 earthquake, may face disciplinary action.
The Institution of Professional Engineers (Ipenz) has confirmed structural engineer David Harding will face two disciplinary hearings next month.
Harding was employed by Alan Reay Consultants.
A report by the Royal Commission of Inquiry into the Canterbury Earthquakes in 2012 found the building had serious design and construction flaws, as Harding was working "beyond his competence".
Harding was found to have been left largely unsupervised by principal Alan Reay despite Harding's limited experience designing multi-level buildings.
Maan Alkaisi, who lost wife Maysoon Abbas in the collapse, said the hearing had come as a result of a complaint lodged on behalf of the CTV victims' families against Reay and Harding.
Alkaisi said while he was glad "this cause can be heard within the professional engineering organisation", the group were "not very happy" Reay would not face the same disciplinary action.
Ipenz dropped a similar charge against Reay when he resigned from the organisation earlier this year.
"But what is important is the message that they send about this whole situation about what happened to the CTV building. It's been three and a half years, they must have formed an opinion about what happened," Alkaisi said.
Alkaisi said a number of victims' family members would also be present, and they would likely make a statement.
He considered the collapse a "huge engineering failure", and said the families want two things from the hearings.
"We want justice, we want someone to be held accountable. Secondly, we don't want to see this happen again. We want to ensure better standards are employed and a very clear message about human safety."
An Ipenz spokesman said the hearings would begin at 9am on July 14, at the Christian Cullen Lounge at Addington Raceway.
He said it would be a public meeting, unless the "committee decides otherwise".
Harding's two hearings would deal with his two jurisdictions, the spokesman said.
The first would be conducted by Ipenz and would examine the design of the building in 1986.
The second hearing, held later that day by Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng), would look into his application for reassessment in 2011.
- The Press
Resource consent being denied for the Basin flyover is:Related story: Board of inquiry says 'NO' to Basin flyover