Fire at former motel

03:50, Jun 22 2014

A building at the Catlins Area Motel has been badly damaged in Owaka leaving the occupants emotionally distraught.

A fire communications spokesman said crews from Owaka Fire Station and Kaka Point Volunteer Fire Brigade attended the blaze on Saturday about 11am.

The building which had not been used as a motel for some time was well involved when crews arrived.

Two crews attacked the fire using breathing apparatus.

All occupants of the building were accounted for but they were very upset, the spokesman said.

Gore fire crews had to contain a chimney fire on Friday night.

A piece of timber in the ceiling was smouldering on arrival before being removed.

Meanwhile a person was taken to Gore Hospital with moderate injuries after the car they were driving rolled off the Tapanui-Raes Junction Highway.

Emergency services attended the scene about 10.30pm on Saturday night.  


The Southland Times