Electric blanket fire sends one to hospital

Last updated 08:29 24/06/2014

Relevant offers

On person was taken to hospital after an electric blanket caught fire in a Waihi home overnight.

The Waihi Volunteer Fire Brigade responded to an emergency call on Dobson St just after 1am.

Firefighters arrived to find a faulty electric blanket had ignited bed linen, Fire Service spokesman Jaron Phillips said.

He warned people to never fall asleep with an electric blanket turned on.

Firefighters removed the bedding from the house and ventilated the rooms.

He confirmed one person was treated for smoke inhalation but there was no record of burn injuries. 

Meanwhile, a broken water main at Taupo had started flooding houses this morning.

Firefighters were called to the scene on Rifle Range Rd at 6.51am.

Phillips said they pumped water out of one property's's basement and there were potential issues at nearby Gillies Ave.

Ad Feedback

- Waikato Times

Special offers
Opinion poll

The lower drink-driving limits from December are:

Great - too much carnage on our roads.

Overkill - targets moderate drinkers, not the heavies

Still too little - make it zero tolerance.

Sensible - punishment is in line with lesser breaches of limit.

Vote Result

Related story: Drink-drive limits lowered

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?