Burning toast prompts pool evacuation
About 40 people were evacuated from Coastlands Aquatic Centre in Paraparaumu, north of Wellington, this morning when smoke from burning toast set off smoke detectors.
Paraparaumu fire station officer Jason Brinck said they were alerted to the smoke at about 10.30am and on arrival were told billowing smoke had come from a staff member burning toast in the staff room.
The fire service evacuated the building and ventilated it to get rid of a lot of smoke, Brink said.
The incident was a reminder to "keep looking while you are cooking", he said. ."You should never leave cooking unattended," he said.
The Dominion Post