Facebook status update: house on fire

01:05, Aug 05 2014
Hawke's Bay house fire
LUCKY ESCAPE: Cheynne Abraham, with her 2-year-old Ririana, came home to a surprise this morning.

A Facebook message warned Cheynne Abraham her Hastings home was on fire.

She ran home early this morning as it went up in flames saying: ''Oh my god! It's true.''

Two families share the house. Abraham, her partner and their children were staying at a cousin's for the night.

The other family - a family of seven,  including five children, one who was five months old - had been inside the Riverslea Rd South home when it caught fire shortly after 2am.

Despite there being no smoke alarms in the house, all escaped with two taken to Hawke's Bay Hospital suffering smoke inhalation.

Abraham woke to a Facebook message telling her that the home she shared w had caught fire.

''I can't believe it. She said our house had burned down and I text back WTF! But F... It's true. I wish we came home now.''

She was worried about her house mates, who fortunately got out safely.

Of the five children in the house when it caught fire, one was a five-month-old baby.  Abraham's three children aged - 5, 3 and 2 - had not been home.

She didn't know how she was going to feed the kids with her eftpos cards in the house.

''All my stuff. I have nothing.''

Having lived in the house for just six weeks she did not know if there were smoke alarms.

''I should've checked... How stupid.''

Hastings senior station officer Mike Peachey said the seven people in the house ''got out in the nick of time''.

Smoke alarms would have given them more warning, he said.

The house suffered significant damage.

While most of the fire was out within 30 minutes, fire fighters remained at the scene at 6am dampening down hot spots.

Fire safety investigators would look in to the cause of the fire.


Hawke's Bay house fire
Fire broke out in this Riverslea Rd South, Hawke's Bay home about 2.15am. The occupants all managed to escape.

The Dominion Post