Live: Heavy snow blankets the south
Heavy snow has hit the deep south, closing schools and disrupting traffic throughout Otago and Southland, while snow flurries fell in Christchurch.
As the freezing level rises today, rain and thunderstorms will replace snow flurries.
Our live coverage, featuring your weather photos from across the country, has finished but you can still see the replay and photos below. For further updates check out the full story here.
* The snow level is expected to rise to about 200 metres tonight after falling to sea level in Otago, Southland and Fiordland. Those regions are in line for rain, hail and thunderstorms later today.
* Canterbury is in the firing line for sleety showers later this evening and snow to 200 metres.
* SH87 Kyeburn To Outram will stay closed overnight due to heavy snow. Conditions will be reviewed at 10am on Saturday.
* Several flights travelling to or from Dunedin, Invercargill and Queenstown were cancelled or delayed by the weather.
* Buses were not operating in Dunedin's hill suburbs this morning but are back on service now.
* Most schools in Dunedin are closed or opened at 10am.