Schoolboy hit by truck still 'critical'

An Auckland schoolboy is in a critical-but-stable condition after being hit by a truck after school on Thursday.

Neighbour Barbara Donaldson said she saw the Lynfield College student get hit by a bus on Terry St last week when she was out checking her mailbox.

The Blockhouse bay resident said there were two buses parked either side of the rode when the 17-year-old stepped out onto the road.

''It happened in a flash,'' she said.

Donaldson's husband Derek used his hanky to stem the flow of blood from the teenager's head, she said.

The boy's father and other family members had visited the Donaldsons during the days following the incident to thank them for their help, she said.

''It's a tragedy.''

The Blockhouse bay resident said she felt sorry for the family and for the truck driver.

Donaldson said she understood the boy had sustained head injuries and was not in a good way.

The boy's father said he was too shocked to comment at the moment.

There was another incident involving a 14-year-old Lynfield College student who was hit by a car on a pedestrian crossing on Thursday shortly after Wayne was hit.

Lynfield College principal Steve Bovaird refused to talk about the incident until the police report was released and the school had all the facts.

''This is a very distressing time.''

Bovaird said there had been five incidents involving students in traffic during the past 10 years.

''When you look at that in relation to the number of students and the number of student movements ... in the last 10 years it's about nine million kids coming and going from school during that time, you've got to put it into perspective and you've got to get the facts.''

Staff were asked to once again remind students of the dangers on the road around the school following the incident last week, he said.

The school was surrounded by ''extremely busy'' roads as it was a major thoroughfare to and from the airport and for people heading south.

The school asked the council to put in traffic lights about six years ago to improve students' safety, Bovaird said.

Once the police reports came out on the most recent incidents the school would assess whether it needed to talk to the council again or take any specific measures to further improve road safety, he said, adding that hopefully when Highway 16 was completed it would take some pressure off the roads around the school.

On Thursday, Bovaird said the injured student was conscious and able to give his name to emergency service workers following the incident.

"It happened an hour after school. We had a short day today. As soon as we got the phone call ... I just went straight down there."

Bovaird said support services might be provided for other students depending on how bad the situation turned out to be.

He asked for privacy for the family of the student.

An Auckland City Hospital spokesperson said the boy was in a critical-but-stable condition on Saturday.

The Police serious crash unit was investigating