Counsellors help PNG gunshot victim recover

18:22, Aug 21 2014
Cathy Franzoi
BACK HOME: Cathy Franzoi and her husband, Rodney at home in Waihi Beach.

A woman shot in Papua New Guinea is slowly getting back into normal life in Waihi Beach, with the help of counsellors.

Cathy Franzoi was sleeping inside her accommodation in Port Moresby when she was hit in the leg by a stray bullet, during a gun fight outside.

She returned home last Friday and was slowly healing from the wound, husband Rodney Franzoi said.

"Once the wound is healed she can start walking and exercising again, but it's going well and there are no issues we can see here."

The incident happened on August 10, following a volunteering trip she was on with her teenage son Luke, for Youth With A Mission (YWAM) Medical Ships, offering medical training to local communities.

"There are things you wonder about, it stays with you," husband Rodney Franzoi said.


He said his wife was scheduled for counselling today.

"I don't know who it is with but it was arranged for her."

Ten days on from surgery, Cathy Franzoi still can't sit or stand for longer than five minutes.

This week she enjoyed her first outing, bar doctors visits, since the incident.

"We took her to a pancake place and that made her feel human again, that was a touch of normality," her husband said.

Rodney Franzoi said it was the first time he and his wife had done a trip of this kind, but he said it had not deterred them from future missions.

Franzoi and her son had finished their stint with YWAM when the incident occurred. The organisation conducted an assessment into the event, said public relations manager Rebekah Hoover.

"Our risk management plan was internally reviewed and updated including incidents for stray bullets and how to better assess land-based accommodation in light of this possibility. We briefed various authorities and stakeholders, inviting their advice and input. We continue to support Cathy and the team's communication with the local police and NZ High Commission," she said.

The New Zealand High Commission in Port Moresby extended consular support at the time of the incident, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade said.

"Any queries regarding the investigation into the incident need to be referred to Papua New Guinea authorities," the spokesperson said.

Waikato Times