Man escapes house blaze
A Blenheim man has escaped unharmed from a fire which gutted his house during the night.
Blenheim chief fire officer Rob Dalton said fire crews were called to the Main St house about 3am, after the middle aged man woke to find his house ablaze.
It appeared he had fallen asleep with candles burning, Dalton said.
''He woke up with his room on fire and made a hurried escape ... he was very fortunate he managed to wake up.'' The man was uninjured in the fire, he said.
Three fire appliances from Blenheim, as well as one from Renwick had attended the blaze, while a Picton unit stood by at the Blenheim Fire Station.
It took about half an hour to control the fire, but crews had worked for sometime to clear any hotspots, Dalton said. The blaze left just the shell of the house.
An investigation into the fire was underway, but there were no suspicious circumstances at this stage.
The occupant of the house declined to speak to media, only saying he had lost everything.
The Marlborough Express