Couple selling after fire at home

NICOLE MATHEWSON
Last updated 05:00 02/09/2014
Bewdley St fire
Iain McGregor/FAIRFAX NZ

SELLING UP: Victor, 89, and his wife Pearl, 85, were unable to salvage any of their possessions and did not have insurance.

Relevant offers

An elderly couple who lost everything when their home burnt down are selling their old section to try to "move on" with life.

Victor and Pearl Hewitt lost everything except the clothes they were wearing when their Bewdley St, Christchurch, house was destroyed by fire on July 31.

The fire was caused by unattended cooking and took just minutes to spread through their home of 26 years.

Victor, 89, and his wife Pearl, 85, were rescued by two passing builders but were unable to salvage any of their possessions and did not have insurance.

Their burnt-out home and section were now on the market to help the couple "move on . . . with life", real estate agent Annette Warner said.

The section would go to auction on September 18, unless it was sold prior. "It's quite a unique property in every possible way," Warner said.

There had been "quite a bit of interest" in the property already, including from a few developers and some looking to build their own family homes.

"The more the better though," Warner said. "It would be great to get top dollar for [the Hewitts] so they could move on. It's been their home for a long time."

The section would be sold "as is, where is", meaning the new owners would need to demolish the burnt-out house themselves.

The Hewitts "just wanted to walk away", Warner said.

The couple have been resettled in rental accommodation.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content