Cosgrove hits back at boy racer website

Last updated 00:00 20/08/2007
KIRK HARGREAVES/The Press
TACKLING THE ISSUE: Labour MP Clayton Cosgrove has been the target of abuse by boy racers.

Relevant offers

Labour Minister Clayton Cosgrove is the subject of death threats as a boy-racer group steps up the pressure on the crusading Waimakariri MP via a website.
View video

Cosgrove, who has campaigned to rid the streets of boy racers, is being targeted by a group called FCC (F... Clayton Cosgrove), which claims to be protesting against the victimisation of boy racers.

The group's website appeared to have been pulled last night, but attacks posted on it were believed to include death threats against Cosgrove.

However, boy-racer group founder Terry Hill said claims his group had made death threats were ridiculous.

"I don't know where the heck that came from, that's just ridiculous. There's nothing like that at all," he said.

He maintained FCC was "just a co-operative of young people who drive cars, who are sick of being treated like criminals and scum for just loving cruising".

Christchurch boy racer Jason Hepi is also a member of the group.

A post on Hill's Bebo website by Hepi states: "haha f... i cant wait till clayton gets a look at this s...!hes gona FLIP hahaha YUSS."

The group also offers T-shirts for sale on the website, which state: "If street racing is a crime, then I am a criminal."

Hill said Cosgrove was "not a target as such, it's just the name of the band".

"It's him and people like him that we don't really like. We don't like how they work."

However, an angry Cosgrove hit back last night, saying the alleged death threats had been referred to police and labelling the group members "primeval thugs".

"This is simply part of the intimidation that our communities in Christchurch have had to put up with for years," he said.

"I'm an MP, it comes with the territory, but my resolve is that I will continue as I have done to represent the community," he said.

Cosgrove said maps of his house had been posted online and he understood his home had been "cased" by the group.

A brick had been thrown through his window at a former address, but the latest group had come as a surprise.

"You do worry about your family, obviously," he said.

However, Hill said the group had simply planned to do a daytime cruise to Cosgrove's house.

"We thought, `wouldn't it be great if we went out, set up a barbecue, show off our cars – have a show and shine – and do it outside his house, so he could meet the people that he's criminalising.

Ad Feedback

"I can't represent everyone in FCC, but I could imagine it would be quite cheeky if someone did a skid along his street, and I can see it happening, to be honest. If you can't find that funny, then you obviously don't know us."

Cosgrove said boy racers should not be allowed to "terrorise" communities and use such "stand-over tactics" to intimidate people.

Asked whether he would consider meeting the group, Cosgrove replied: "I don't meet with thugs."

- The Press

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?