Local council staff are investigating the source of a mysterious smell that sparked a mass emergency call-out in downtown Wellington.
Five fire trucks and a command unit were sent to the Old Bank Arcade building in Lambton Quay this morning after a strong smell of gas was reported.
Fire service staff thought at first the leak was potentially explosive methane gas.
Wellington City Council spokesman Richard McLean said council staff and the fire service had since ruled out a gas leak, "but clearly there's something happening in the building that's causing some kind of unusual smell".
Council staff were meeting with the building's owners this afternoon to work out where the smell was coming from, he said.
"There's a bit of a mystery at the moment."
- © Fairfax NZ News
Pals and playmates (pictures)
Reacting to a sudden cancellation
New Zealand's best deck built yesterday
Appreciating Tony Allen
The meaning of blogging