Devlin outs himself in disorderly-behaviour case

IAN STEWARD
Last updated 12:06 24/01/2011
Martin Devlin
MURRAY WILSON/Manawatu Standard
DIVERSION: The disorderly behaviour charge against Martin Devlin has been withdrawn.

Related Links

Martin Devlin's full statement

Relevant offers

Sports broadcaster Martin Devlin has outed himself as the "celebrity" in the Auckland disorderly-behaviour name suppression case.

Devlin, 46, a sports talkback host on Radio Live, had his name suppression lifted in the Auckland District Court today and released a statement saying he had acted like "a right plum" during the incident.

He said his family had missed the Waiheke ferry on the morning of December 29 because he had been watching a football game.

"As a result the atmosphere was a little frosty between me and my wife.''

He said his wife mistakenly drove off from the ferry terminal on Quay St, central Auckland, with his bag in the boot of the car.

He stopped the car in the middle of the road and "once stationary, for some inexplicable reason, I sat on the car's bonnet".

"It was stupid and I apologise."

He was arrested and charged with disorderly behaviour for which he pleaded guilty and received police diversion.

Devlin said he had been described in the media as a "household name".

"I think we all agree that description is totally inaccurate.''

Devlin said reports in the NZ Herald of a "blazing row" between him and his wife were incorrect.

He had sought name suppression in an effort to protect his children from embarrassment.

"Now that I can be named I'm hopeful the newspapers will go away and find a much more worthy story for the front page."

Statement from Martin Devlin:

"I am the 46 year old broadcaster granted interim name suppression after being charged with disorderly conduct in Auckland on December 29th last year.

"The police have offered me diversion for this offence and it remains before the court and subjudice while I work through the diversion process over the next 3 months.

"However, in an effort to set the record straight and end speculation the Police Prosecutions Service has allowed me to release this statement once the suppression lapses this morning.

"I have no problem in admitting that I behaved like a right plum that morning on Quay Street.

"My wife, two young sons and I missed the 11am ferry sailing because I was watching Manchester United draw with Birmingham.

"As a result, the atmosphere was a little frosty and my wife dropped me at the terminal and drove away without realising my bag and wallet were in the boot.

"I walked across Quay Street into a lane of traffic to stop the car and get my bag.

Ad Feedback

"Once stationary, for some inexplicable reason I sat on the car's bonnet. It was stupid and I apolologise.

"I have always been and continue to be a very big supporter of the police and I am sincerely sorry for wasting their time and that of the court.

"Regarding the media coverage there has been… several reports have described me as a "household name". I think we all agree that description is totally inaccurate.

"In an unconfirmed and unattributed report by the NZ Herald and herald.co.nz last week, the newspaper claimed that my wife and I were having a "rowdy tiff" on Quay Street. In yesterday's Herald on Sunday in another unofficial report, the newspaper claimed we were having a "blazing row". Those reports were incorrect. In fact, we weren't actually talking to each other."

 

- Stuff

Special offers
Opinion poll

Resource consent being denied for the Basin flyover is:

Great news

Wellington's loss

I'm still undecided

Vote Result

Related story: Board of inquiry says 'NO' to Basin flyover

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?