Students trapped in overloaded lift
It was their first night out as university students but one group of students almost didn't make it out of the lift.
The fire service was called to a Victoria University hall on Boulcott St in Wellington at 10.15pm, after reports that 24 students had overloaded a lift and couldn't get the doors open.
Wellington senior station officer Mike Dombroski said fire services had to cut power and pry open the lift to find about 15 students who had been stuck inside for about 20 minutes.
"They were certainly jammed in there."
Two of the trapped students passed out, had difficulties breathing and required medical attention.
Several students were still lying on the foyer ground, being treated by Wellington Free Ambulance staff when Stuff arrived.
With orientation week starting today, many of the students would have been on their way out to their first night away from home.
It was also the first night for the hostel, an old refurbished office block converted to house 390 students last year.
Staff at the hostel refused to comment and referred all questions to the university.