Kim Dotcom back in court to fight for assets
Lawyers for internet mogul Kim Dotcom are again back in court as they fight to retain assets seized by authorities.
In March a United States Federal District Court ruled assets belonging to Dotcom, including a fleet of luxury cars and the house his estranged wife Mona lives in, should be forfeited to the Crown.
The asset list includes about $4 million in government bonds, $800,000 cash, 20-30 luxury vehicles, an empty section next to Dotcom's rented Coatesville mansion and a nearby house worth between $4-5m.
To enforce the US order the Crown must register it, but Dotcom's lawyers are demanding a judicial review of the deputy solicitor general's decision.
Crown lawyer David Boldt appeared in the Auckland High Court on Friday morning before Justice Rebecca Ellis in an attempt to strike out the judicial review claim.
He said Dotcom's US lawyers had appealed the forfeiture order and New Zealand authorities had given a guarantee no assets would be sold while legal action was ongoing overseas.
The hearing was scheduled to last a day.
Earlier this month Justice Patricia Courtney granted Dotcom access to part of his seized assets so he could cover mounting legal fees and $170,000-a-month household expenses.
But Boldt said this money had not yet been released as there was concerns any money sent to the US to cover Dotcom's legal expenses there could be seized by US authorities.