Cranmer Courts demolition confirmed
Christchurch's historic Cranmer Courts will be demolished.
The Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) today confirmed the body corporate, comprising unit owners within the complex, had decided the quake-damaged, heritage-listed building could not be saved.
''We are waiting for a [Christchurch City Council] report which is due in the next couple of days on some of the heritage aspects. A tender document will be issued in due course,'' a Cera spokeswoman said.
''We understand that the owners wish to recover as much of the material as possible to use in any rebuild.''
Cera issued the body corporate a section 38 notice on April 19 because the building was considered dangerous. Residents had spent almost $1 million on stablisation work.
Member Rod McKay told The Press last week that residents were divided on the building's future, but most seemed to support demolition because the cost of repairs was ''just not viable''.
The building has been red-stickered since the February 2011 quake, when it suffered severe structural damage.