A toddler pulled from a house fire in Invercargill is in a critical condition.
St John spokeswoman Alena Lynch said the three-year-old boy had been taken to Southland Hospital in a critical condition, after suffering life-threatening smoke inhalation during the Teviot St blaze.
Three adults were also taken to the hospital after the blaze, two with minor smoke inhalation and a third with a minor cut, she said.
A Southland Hospital spokeswoman said the boy was in a critical condition.
Invercargill Fire Brigade senior station officer Alan Goldsworthy said firefighers were called at 8.10am and when they arrived smoke was billowing from the house.
A firefighter pulled the boy out of the house.
''From when we arrived we would have had the child out well within five minutes... it felt like ages but it was probably only a couple of minutes or so,'' Goldsworthy said.
One of the occupants Brendon Wilson, 16, said he woke up and thought the lounge light was on.
''Then I felt a flickering and there were flames coming through the door,'' he said.
The fire caused significant damage to the north end of the house and a fire safety investigation had started.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Pals and playmates (pictures)
Reacting to a sudden cancellation
New Zealand's best deck built yesterday
Appreciating Tony Allen
The meaning of blogging