Police pursue football player after on-field brawl

01:43, Jan 31 2009

Police have applied to the High Court to pursue a charge against a Brazilian football player after an on-field brawl in Queenstown.

Filipe Gustavo Schons, 22, was charged with assault with intent to injure football player Tobi Brent Reid during a Chatham Cup match between Queenstown Rovers and Invercargill's Queens Park in Queenstown on May 19.

Justices of the peace threw out the case after a depositions hearing last month, saying they were not satisfied police evidence showed Schons assaulted Reid with intent to injure.

Police relaid the charge against Schons in the district court three weeks ago, but withdrew it yesterday after it was revealed Crown Solicitor Mary-Jane Thomas last Thursday applied to the Invercargill High Court for an order granting consent to present an indictment.

The application lists two counts: one of intending to injure and one – listed as an alternative charge – of assault.

No hearing date has been set.


Reid is the brother of Queenstown Constable Jason Reid, who was working in uniform when the incident occurred and did the interviews for the police case.

Jason Reid told the depositions hearing in the Queenstown District Court he saw Schons leap and kick his brother in the shoulder, then grab him from behind.

Tobi Reid said at the hearing he had his right hand cocked, ready to punch one of Schons' team-mates, Rodrigo Oliveira, when Schons hit him.

The next day, he went to Invercargill's Kew Hospital with a sore shoulder and a bruised throat.

He also said Oliveira's punches gave him black eyes.

The officer in charge of the case, Constable Greg Hanckel, stated at the hearing that police did not interview match officials, Queenstown Rovers management or players.

Two of Schons' Rovers teammates, Oliveira and Pedro Batista de freitas Neto, were also charged over the incident, but were granted diversion after making donations to charity.

Queenstown Rovers won the game 3-1, but withdrew from the Chatham Cup following the incident.

Referee Alex Wilson issued five yellow cards and two red cards to Queens Park players during the match.

Queenstown Rovers players got two yellow cards and one red card.

The matter went before a footballsouth judicial hearing in June, after which Schons was suspended from all involvement in football until the court charge had been dealt with.

Both teams were found guilty of bringing the game into disrepute and placed on good behaviour bonds.

The Press