Volcanic activity is occurring at Mt Tongariro and could pose a threat to the following areas/regions: Waikato, Hawke's Bay, Gisborne, Manawatu-Whanganui, Bay of Plenty, Taranaki.
People living in or near the affected areas should:
- Stay indoors: volcanic ash is a health hazard, especially if you suffer from breathing difficulty. If outside, seek shelter (eg in a car or building)
- When indoors, close all windows and doors to limit the entry of volcanic ash.
- If caught in volcanic ash falls: Wear a dust mask or use a handkerchief or cloth over your nose and mouth; protect your eyes by wearing goggles. Wear eyeglasses, NOT contact lenses as fine ash will get under the lens.
- Listen to the radio for updated emergency information and instructions. Follow any evacuation orders issued by authorities. Refer to the back page of the Yellow Pages for evacuation advice.
- Do not tie up phone lines with non-emergency calls.
- Stay out of designated restricted zones. Effects of a volcanic eruption can be experienced many miles from a volcano.
Detailed safety advice will come from local authorities and emergency services in the area. People should act on it promptly.
Volcanic Alert Bulletin:
Volcanic alert level for Mt Tongariro has changed from 1 to 2.
Aviation colour code has changed from yellow to red.