Man found dead after fight in Kapiti

Last updated 18:02 15/09/2012

Kapiti bar fight death

Relevant offers

A 22-year man has been arrested and charged with murder following the death of a 20-year-old outside a bar in Paraparaumu early this morning.

Police found Sean Strongman-Lintern dead in the Kapiti Lights car park at about 12.40am.

Oxnam said Strongman-Lintern appeared to have been in a fight near the Monteith’s Kapiti Junction Bar.

Following a post mortem carried out this afternoon, police were looking for a knife that may have been discarded in the Kapiti Lights area or on State Highway 1 south of Paraparaumu to Pukerua Bay.

More than 30 police were involved in the investigation to-date.

Kapiti Mana Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Oxnam said the accused man was due to appear in Porirua Court on Monday.

Oxnam has asked for anyone with information on this, or who was in the area at the time of the death, to call Kapiti police on (04) 296 6800 or phone Crimestoppers on 0800 555.


Two sergeants and five constables were on duty in the Paraparumu area at the time of the death.

Police arrived at the scene just slightly afterwards to find one person on the ground surrounded by a crowd.

It is the second such incident in that complex in the last month; 17-year-old Izak Millanta was killed following a fight outside Retro Bar in early August.

Police said there was no indication of any link between this death and a fatal stabbing five weeks ago.


Police have not said how the 20-year-old died, but the manager of a nearby bar believes he was stabbed.

Monteith's Junction Bar manager Stefan Rigg said he thought the man had been involved in a "scuffle" inside the bar at the Kapiti Lights complex before he and another were kicked out by bouncers.

"It was minor push and shove sort of stuff. And then security ejected them.

"And then with that incident [the fight outside] it's the same [people involved], we think. And from there the guy has been stabbed in the chest."

Police cordoned off much of the complex as they searched for clues. They were also scouring CCTV footage from both the Monteith's bar and the next door TAB and gaming pub The Cock.

Rigg said his security guards were also helping with police inquiries.


Izak Millanta was chased by a group of people from the Retro Bar to an alleyway about 300 metres away, where he was seriously beaten and left unconscious. He died later in hospital, surrounded by family.

Manawanui Stewart, of Titahi Bay, has been charged with manslaughter. He remains in custody.

Both incidents happened just metres from Kapiti Police Station, which backs onto the Kapiti Lights car park. The incidents have sparked concern with the Paraparaumu community over the control of liquor consumption in that area.

A week after the death of Millanta, about 80 people attended a karakia near the bridge over Wharemauku stream.

Don Te Maipi, one of three kaumatua who performed the blessing, said he was amazed at the number of family and friends who attended and shed tears.

Ad Feedback

Te Maipi had planned to hold a hui with parents and young people to try to put a stop to "horrible" acts of violence.

"It is terrible what is happening in our area . . . what is happening to our grandchildren," he said.

District councillor K Gurunathan called for the Retro Bar owners to reduce their opening hours as a show of faith to a community shocked by the death.

Nearly 20 drunk partygoers were ejected from the bar by police in June during a late-night swoop on about 150 people, mainly aged 18-20.

Retro Bar manager David Aitken said last night's incident was unrelated to the bar.

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content