Severe Chch quake: What you need to know
A severe magnitude 5.7 earthquake struck Christchurch at 1.13pm on Sunday.
It was centred 13km off the east coast of Christchurch, at a depth of 14km.
Geonet originally classified the quake as at 5.9 magnitude shake, but subsequently downgraded their rating. They list it as "severe". It was felt as far away as Wellington. The 2011 earthquake struck in the same area.
There have been several aftershocks so far, including a 3.6 magnitude earthquake at 5.44pm, and a 4.2 magnitude earthquake at 6.27pm.
The Ministry of Civil Defence said there was no risk of tsunami anywhere in New Zealand after the earthquake.
No issues have been found with the city's water supply and drinking water is safe to drink.
* LIVE: 5.7 earthquake hits Christchurch
* Christchurch hit by severe earthquake
* Photos: Christchurch hit by 5.7 magnitude earthquake
* Christchurch quake: At Sumner and Taylor's Mistake
* LIVE CHAT RECAP: GNS seismologist Anna Kaiser on Christchurch's quakes
* Cliff jumping life guards hit by falling rocks in earthquake
All major roads and bridges were open on Monday morning.
There was substantial cliff collapse at Whitewash Head overlooking Taylor's Mistake – these are in the Residential Red Zone. There was considerable cliff collapse at Godley Head.
Material came off the cliffs behind Wakefield Ave at the back of the bowling club, but nothing reached the road.
Considerable material has also come off Peacocks Gallop, however nothing has reached the road due to the protection in place.
Spark said on Monday all was clear on the mobile network.
The Ministry of Education's head of sector enablement and support said Christchurch Girls' High School, Aranui High school and St Thomas of Canterbury would be shut on Monday.
IS ANYONE HURT?
As of 8:45am on Monday no serious injuries or building damage had been reported.
St John said they had an immediate increase in calls just after the quake, mostly for minor injuries sustained by people running during the quake.
Thousands of people reported feeling the quake, and many stores reported damage to merchandise.
Westfield Riccarton mall, Northlands Shopping Centre, Ballantynes and The Colombo were evacuated. More damage to the ChristChurch Cathedral was reported.
CLAIMS AND DAMAGES
People would have three months to lodge a claim with the Earthquake Commission for damage to their homes, land or contents from Sunday's earthquake.
EQC would increase the number of contact centre staff from Monday to handle any increase in calls, EQC chief executive Ian Simpson said.
People could make a claim by phoning 0800 DAMAGE. The call centre would be open from 7am to 9pm. People could leave a message outside those hours.
Geotechnical engineers were out on Sunday assessing damage, Simpson said.
THINGS YOU NEED TO DO AND KNOW
- Aftershocks are to be expected. You should be ready to stop, cover, and hold at all times.
- Residents should check their properties for damage. Minor damage should be photographed and documented. If the building appears at all unsafe it should be evacuated immediately, using stairs instead of lifts.
- Burwood mums and babies who were in the Burwood Maternity Unit at the time of the first quake have been temporarily moved to other facilities as a precaution while that facility is checked.
- Any mums expecting to go to Burwood today or on Monday should check in with their midwife.
- General Practices, pharmacies, after hours services and the hospital emergency department are operating as normal, with no increase in patient numbers at this point.
- According to the Ministry, no schools have reported any damage as a result of the shake.
- Elderly and vulnerable neighbours should be checked on as soon as possible.
- Listen to the radio for updated emergency information and instructions.
- Do not overload phone lines with any non-emergency calls. Spark urged people to use text messages or data where possible.
- While outside be wary of fallen power lines or small fires.
- NZTA said the Lytlleton tunnel has been checked and re-opened following the tremor.
- The University of Canterbury has been cleared to reopen by structural engineers who have inspected key indicator buildings. All Halls of Residence are also open. Classes and all other planned programmes and activities will continue as normal.