The father of badly burned toddler Arna Hopkins has spoken of the "torture" of watching his little girl fighting to recover.
But Regan Hopkins also told The Dominion Post yesterday that the family was positive about Arna's recovery and looking forward to being a healthy, "happy family again".
Arna, 3, suffered severe burns to her body and face on September 10, after setting fire to her clothes at her Martinborough home. She had been lighting a candle for twin sister Mila, who died of an infection last month.
Mr Hopkins, who badly burnt his hands saving his daughter, said it was difficult to describe what the family was going through.
"It's agony, torture," he said. "The only thing we know for certain is that Arna's recovery is going to be a long journey."
Arna underwent her first major surgery at Auckland's Middlemore Hospital yesterday, spending more than eight hours receiving skin grafts.
"I believe that she will be fine but right now it's still early days."
- © Fairfax NZ News
Family counts blessings after superbug scare (graphic content)
Have you moved cities recently?Related story: Kiwis like to shift cities - survey
The power of googoo eyes (pictures)
Google Now is the future
New season shows to look forward to
The vanilla Budget
A day of building in time-lapse video
So-called sweets I'll never eat again
A fascinated fear of bugs
Nintendo, whata you up to?
Messing with their heads
Daft Punk's brand new album
Navigating life as an intersex character
Wedding woe: Upgrading the ring