Few Guy Fawkes-related fires reported

MICHELLE ROBINSON
Last updated 23:32 05/11/2012

Relevant offers

Guy Fawkes night was more bang than flames, with emergency services reporting few callouts.

Slightly damp weather provided an incident free Guy Fawkes night, with mostly nuisance emergency calls.

The Fire Service's Northern Communications centre received consistent firework-related calls throughout the evening, but most were minor scrub fires.

Calls numbered about 30 by 9.30pm, but most fires were out by the time fire services arrived.

Guy Fawkes related fires had been steady over the weekend, but were largely incident free, fire service communications staff said.

But some were still finding them a nuisance.

Stretches of vineyard and orchard shelter belts caught fire in Maketu, eastern Bay of Plenty on State Highway 2.

Staff were able to bring the fires under control.

Wellington firefighters received 37 calls between 6pm and 11pm, most sparked by fireworks, spokesman David Meikle said.

There were two serious house fires in Petone around 10pm but it's unknown if fireworks were the cause.

One house on The Esplanade was "well alight", while a flat on Cuba St had a fire contained in a bedroom. Occupants in the Cuba St flat were asked to evacuate and no one was injured.

Scrub fires were reported in Napier, Palmerston North and Gisborne.

No injuries were reported.

Christchurch was spared any Guy Fawkes mayhem, with few incidents reported to the fire department.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?