Disgraced former doctor asks for job back

BRONWYN TORRIE
Last updated 14:53 20/11/2012
Roman Hasil
NICK MOIR
DARK PAST: Former obstetrician Dr Roman Hasil has a history of botched operations in Australia and New Zealand.

Relevant offers

Disgraced former Whanganui obstetrician and gynaecologist Roman Hasil may get a chance to practise medicine again.

Hasil told a New South Wales Medical Tribunal hearing in October he wanted to be re-registered so he could resume his work as a doctor.

In a decision released this month, the tribunal said the 56-year-old was unfit to practise medicine due to a brain injury suffered in a fall in 2009, however, it did not rule out the possibility of Hasil applying to be re-registered in the future.

He can apply for re-registration if neurological testing showed his cognitive impairment had improved enough to resume practising, with conditions such as supervision.

Hasil has not been able to work in New Zealand or Australia since a damning report by the New Zealand Health and Disability Commissioner in 2008 found he botched eight female sterilisations while working at Whanganui Hospital between 2005 and 2007.

Four became pregnant, and some later had abortions.

Earlier this year the NSW tribunal upheld 15 complaints from women relating to his time at Lismore Base Hospital between October 2001 and January 2005.

An expert report presented to the tribunal last year found Hasil had been living in a boarding house and spent much of his time wandering the streets.

He had suffered serious depression and alcohol addiction, although he appeared to be making progress towards sobriety.

The report also said he had shown a "decline in his overall intellectual functioning", with vital skills affected, such as the ability to think quickly and flexibly.

In July, it was revealed Hasil had attempted to find surgical work at the Sydney Private Hospital despite not being registered.

He asked about performing gynaecological surgery in the hospital's theatres, but the hospital refused Hasil access after reading previous stories about his conduct.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers
Opinion poll

Resource consent being denied for the Basin flyover is:

Great news

Wellington's loss

I'm still undecided

Vote Result

Related story: Board of inquiry says 'NO' to Basin flyover

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?