Tighter tornado cordon after burglar visit
Cordons around west Auckland's tornado damaged streets have been tightened following local resident fears that looters might be having a go.
The Hobsonville Point area was hit by a tornado on Thursday, killing three men working on a construction site.
Around $11 million worth of damage was inflicted on houses in the Hobsonville-Whenuapai area.
Civil defence controller Clive Manley said that the cordons had been relaxed on Friday night to allow contractors and residents into the area to begin cleaning up.
During the time there was one confirmed case of burglary occurring.
"We had a confirmed case and anecdotally we have heard from residents that they may have been another case as well," he said.
"You would have hoped in a case like this that people would have acted in a principled way, but there are always the odd rat-bag who take advantage of a situation."
The area was also hit by sightseers yesterday, getting in the way of a clean up.
Manley said as a result police at the cordons would be taking a closer interest in people going into the area. In the case of purported contractors, they will need to prove their identities.
Meanwhile he said that there were now 22 houses that were likely to be written off as beyond repair by insurance companies.
Last night Civil Defence helped with accommodation for 29 people without a place to stay.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Pals and playmates (pictures)
Reacting to a sudden cancellation
New Zealand's best deck built yesterday
Appreciating Tony Allen
The meaning of blogging