No charges after clamper's claims

Daniel Clout
Daniel Clout

A police investigation into allegations of assault made by clamper Daniel Clout against Andrew Judd has been closed after finding no evidence to charge him.

In November, the New Plymouth District councillor was accused of assault by Mr Clout after a confrontation in a New Plymouth car park.

Mr Clout claimed he was assaulted by Mr Judd and a business associate after he clamped the vehicle of a Judd Opticians customer parked in a private car park in King St.

But the two-term councillor said he acted in self-defence during the altercation which he described as a "scary" and "intimidating" experience.

At the time Mr Judd told the Taranaki Daily News he would resign from New Plymouth District Council if found at fault in a scuffle with Mr Clout.

But yesterday Sergeant Terry Johnson said the police investigation found no evidence to prosecute him.

"The matter was fully investigated. As with any investigation it relies on evidence and in this case there was no evidence. The police file has been filed."

Mr Judd said he was pleased the whole ordeal was over and he could get on with enjoying Christmas with his family.

"It's been very arduous. I've never been in that position before," he said yesterday.

Mr Judd said he was always confident he had acted in the same way anybody in that position would have.

"I always believed I had nothing to be fearful of," he said.

"I'm just pleased I can move on."

However, two other people appeared in the New Plymouth District Court yesterday on separate charges linked to Mr Clout.

A 65-year-old woman appeared on a charge of assault after she allegedly spat in the face of Mr Clout when her car was clamped in the Richmond Centre about 1.30pm on Wednesday.

She was remanded until January 16 to give her time to seek diversion.

Scott Douglas McCartney appeared before Judge Tony Adeane yesterday charged with threatening to injure Mr Clout.

McCartney, who represented himself in court, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

"I didn't say the things he said I said," McCartney told the judge.

McCartney admitted talking to Mr Clout while he sat in his car, but he denied that he had threatened him.

Judge Adeane scheduled a defended hearing for McCartney on February 11.

Taranaki Daily News