Firefighters were called to a Christchurch house this morning after a Christmas ham breakfast went awry.
Southern Communications shift manager Andrew Norris said firefighters were called to an address on Manhire St, Sydenham, where the occupants had overcooked their Christmas breakfast, consisting of ham and bacon.
The ham, in the oven, was badly burnt and the house was filled with smoke, he said.
The smoke had set off the monitored smoke alarm.
Fire fighters from the Addington Fire Station arrived at the house shortly about 9.15am.
An attending firefighter said the occupants had the situation under control, but were grateful for their attendance.
"The ham is still salvageable and can be eaten for lunch," Norris said.
- © Fairfax NZ News
Pals and playmates (pictures)
Reacting to a sudden cancellation
New Zealand's best deck built yesterday
Appreciating Tony Allen
The meaning of blogging