Hut users treated for gas poisoning

MEGAN MILLER
Last updated 14:44 16/01/2013

SlideshowLake Alexandrina


View Larger Map

Relevant offers

Two people have been taken to Timaru Hospital this afternoon after falling ill because of a gas leak in a hut at Lake Alexandrina.

The gas leak apparently occurred overnight, Tekapo police Senior Constable Brent Swanson said.

The two occupants of the hut felt sick when they awoke today and called for help. Both were treated at the scene by ambulance staff before being transported to hospital.

The Tekapo fire brigade checked the hut and found a leak from a set of gas lights in the ceiling, Swanson said.

"This is another reminder that people should check all gas fittings and install carbon monoxide detectors," he said. "The coroner has been talking about that very issue lately."

In December Coroner Richard McElrea called for carbon monoxide detectors to be installed in caravans following an inquest into the death of 82-year-old Timaru resident at a camping ground in December of 2010. He was sleeping in a caravan without proper ventilation.

The source of the gas was found to be a poorly maintained refrigerator unit, with a portable heater and cooker also contributing.

The incident also highlighted the need for gas appliances to be regularly maintained, McElrea found.

Ad Feedback

- The Timaru Herald

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?