A 12-year-old Motueka boy was burned in the face, back and arms when a barbecue he was cooking on exploded.
Ambulance communications spokesman Bruce Chubb said the boy suffered superficial burns to about 10 per cent of his upper body when the incident occurred near Kaiteriteri Beach about 8pm.
It was understood a ‘‘leaky’’ gas cylinder caused the explosion, he said.
The Nelson Marlborough Rescue Helicopter airlifted the boy from the Kaiteriteri Camping Ground to Nelson Hospital in a moderate condition.
He was treated on-board by an intensive care paramedic.
The lower drink-driving limits from December are:Related story: Drink-drive limits lowered