Man seriously burned after bulldozer radiator explodes near Kaipara Harbour

A man was air lifted to Whangarei Hospital after suffering first and second degree burns near Tinopai, north of Auckland.
Westpac Rescue Helicopter / Supplied

A man was air lifted to Whangarei Hospital after suffering first and second degree burns near Tinopai, north of Auckland.

A man suffered serious burns after a radiator hose ruptured showering him with boiling water.

The man, 40, was rescued by the Auckland Westpac Rescue Helicopter from Tinopai, near the Kaipara Harbour, about 6.15pm on Monday.

Air ambulance spokeswoman Kerrie Spicer said his burns were "believed to be from a bulldozer radiator rupture, which showered him with hot water".

"He was obviously in a lot of pain when we arrived," she said.

Spicer said difficult terrain made it impossible for the helicopter to land at the scene, so a paramedic was "hover off-loaded" to tend to the man.

The helicopter landed on a nearby road, and the man was taken to it in a private vehicle.

He was in a moderate condition when he arrived at hospital.

The incident happened approximately 6km north of Tinopai.

 

Ad Feedback

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback