Weather watch: Road closures
Snow is causing highway problems as far north as the Desert Road.
From Dunedin to Waitati, State Highway 1 was closed due to snow, the New Zealand Transport Agency (NZTA) said.
The Christchurch City Council said deteriorating weather had forced it to close the Akaroa Summit Road from Little Akaloa to Okains Bay, Okains Bay Rd from Duvauchelle to Okains Bay and Little Akaloa Rd.
A long list of Banks Peninsula roads were restricted to four-wheel-drive vehicles with chains. These are:
- Akaroa Summit Road from Okains Bay to Le Bons Bay
- Le Bons Bay Rd
- Akaroa Summit Road - Le Bons Bay to Long Bay Rd/Cabstand
- Long Bay Rd from Takamatua to Goughs Rd
- Akaroa Inner Harbour - minor hill and rural roads
- Northern and eastern bays roads - minor hill rural roads
- Kinloch Rd/Bossu Rd
- Southern bays roads - Magnet Bay to Lands End Rd
- Little River to Gebbies Pass - minor rural roads
- SH75/Hilltop road, Cooptown to Barrys Bay
- Purau to Port Levy road
- Akaroa Summit Road, Hilltop to Pigeon Bay
- Pigeon Bay Rd, Duvauchelle to Pigeon Bay
- Akaroa Summit Rd - Pigeon Bay to Little Akaloa
Stretches of South Island highway where caution was needed because of snow were:
- State Highway 93 15km west of Clinton
- State Highway 87 between Middlemarch and Outram
- State Highway 6 from Kingston to Dipton
- State Highway 90 from Raes Junction to Mcnab
- State Highway 94 from Te Anau to Milford Sound
- State Highway 94 from Mossburn to Te Anau
-State Highway 1 in Dunedin
- State Highway 8 from Lindis Pass to Omarama
- State Highway 8 from Raes Junction to Milton
- State Highway 85 from Kyeburn to Palmerston
- State Highway 6 from Lumsden to Dipton
- State Highway 93 from Mataura to Clinton
In the North Island, NZTA advised caution on State Highway 1's Desert Road, on State Highway 2 over the Rimutaka Hill, and on State Highway 4 and State Highway 49 around Raetihi and Ohakune because of snow.