Serial rapist files appeal

KATIE KENNY
Last updated 13:23 27/11/2013
Nicholas Reekie
Supplied
NICHOLAS REEKIE: Sentenced in 2003 for various offences including rape and sexual violation.

Relevant offers

A serial rapist who says he cannot pay court costs after he sued Corrections for ill treatment is appealing his case at the Supreme Court today.

Nicholas Reekie last year sued the Corrections Department, the Attorney-General and Waitakere District Court for humiliation and unlawful detention while in Auckland's Paremoremo Prison in 2001 and 2002.

The Court of Appeal found he had been ill treated in prison, but ruled against monetary compensation, and awarded him $1000 in costs to be paid by the Department of Corrections.

Representing himself today at the Supreme Court, he is appealing additional security costs worth nearly $6000.

In filing the case, Reekie had to put up security against costs incurred - the amount included legal bills, travel and phone calls.

Reekie was sentenced in 2003 to preventative detention with a minimum prison term of 25 years - later reduced to 20 years - for the rape of four women, including a child.

Appearing in person by video link, he told the Court that evidence shows he is unable to pay the bill.

"They think I can pay $5800... I've been in prison for over half my life. The information before the court shows I'm a person of little means."

One of the convictions against Reekie was for raping an 11-year-old girl in 1992, for which David Dougherty was jailed for more than three years before he was cleared by DNA evidence.

Reekie had previously been jailed for abducting two children. Within three weeks of his release he raped a 69-year-old woman. A month later he raped a 23-year-old woman.

While in prison, he has repeatedly attempted to overturn his charges and laid numerous complaints about his treatment.

In a 2011 appeal, he was described as a "vexatious litigant". Some of his complaints included sleeping on a thin mattress and having to dry himself with a small towel, being deprived of light, not having access to a toilet.

The Crown will state its case this afternoon.

Ad Feedback

- Fairfax Media

Special offers
Opinion poll

Resource consent being denied for the Basin flyover is:

Great news

Wellington's loss

I'm still undecided

Vote Result

Related story: Board of inquiry says 'NO' to Basin flyover

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?