Gas leak causes major evacuation
A natural gas leak which sparked a major evacuation in the Northland town of Kamo this morning has been brought under control.
The Fire Service was called to the scene at the intersection of Kamo and Wakelin streets shortly after 7.25am where flammable gas was leaking in the area.
"A bus has reversed into a gas reduction station which has resulted in a natural gas leak," said Jaron Phillips, northern Fire Service communications manager.
People within a 500m radius down wind of the leak had been evacuated.
Fire crews were able to stem the leak, however, and police were now letting people return to the area.
The Fire Service would be checking the area for residual gas.
- © Fairfax NZ News