Man in serious condition after Motueka shooting

MAN SHOT: Police have cordoned off the scene on Pah St, Motueka.
MAN SHOT: Police have cordoned off the scene on Pah St, Motueka.

No arrest has been made over the shooting of a man in a home in Motueka with police saying they want to speak with the victim before making a decision on laying charges.

The man was undergoing emergency surgery in Nelson Hospital today after he was shot in the stomach overnight.

Police said the armed offenders squad was called out to a Pah St address about 4am where they found a man in his 20s with a gunshot wound to his stomach.  

He was taken to Nelson Hospital in a serious condition and a spokesperson said this morning he was undergoing surgery.

Police believe he was shot with a .22 rifle. A rifle was recovered at the scene. Police said two other people at the address were being interviewed.

Tasman district commander Superintendent Richard Chambers said this afternoon no one had been charged in connection with the incident.

A scene examination at the home had been completed and witnesses spoken to by police.

However, investigators had been unable to speak to the victim who remained in hospital and was expected to live, Chambers said.

"[Police are] not prepared to make decisions on who the shooter is until they've interviewed the victim."

Chambers confirmed there were people drinking at the home in the lead-up to the shooting.

A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said there had been a lot of fighting, screaming and what sounded like punching from the property on Christmas night.

''We were about to call the police but then everything appeared to calm down.''

She said a woman at the address was shouting at a man to return her dog.

There were cars going in and out of the property for hours.

''I heard a woman crying and it was really bad. I wish I did call the police but all the cars left suddenly.''

There were fights at the property now and then and everyone deserved the right to privacy, she said.

''It's so difficult because you don't want to interfere.

''Sometimes you just have fights and of course it is Christmas and people tend to have a bit much to drink.

''It's just so horrible.''

Another neighbour, Hayley Percy, said she did not hear anything until the armed offenders squad dogs arrived.

''I actually thought it was a random dog but then we heard the police call the dog back. It was so loud.

''When we saw the amount of police, I just went 'Oh, my god'''.

She did not have much to do with her neighbour other than ''the odd gidday over the fence''.

Fairfax Media