Bus collision victim named as investigation continues

01:07, Dec 31 2013
Beerescourt bus crash
SHATTERED: The damaged bus.

The woman killed when a bus and car collided in Hamilton has been named at Lynelle Joy Bray, 46.

She was the driver of the car.

The crash happened about 4.40pm on Monday at the four-way intersection of Te Rapa Rd, Victoria St, Ulster St, and Forest Lake Rd.

The intersection is controlled by traffic lights and Acting Waikato road policing manager Inspector Marcus Lynam said the sequencing of the lights would form part of the investigation in the cause of the crash.

"The other driver involved in the crash managed to bring the bus to a halt a short distance from  where the collision occurred," Lynam said.

"Passengers travelling on the bus were transferred to another service to  complete their journey and steps are being taken to ensure they get what, if any, support they need."


Bray's male passenger was taken to Waikato Hospital with moderate injuries, believed to be to his arm.

Nobody on the bus was injured and the driver was interviewed by police.

It was too early to confirm who was at fault, Lynam said.

"As we work to establish the circumstances of the crash, police would like to extend their sympathies to the family of the woman driving the car and wish the passenger a speedy recovery."

The crash is being investigated by the Serious Crash Unit and the Commercial Vehicle Investigation Unit.

"There were a number of vehicles in the lines of traffic as well as pedestrians and shoppers at the two nearby blocks of shops," said acting Detective Sergeant Tom Evans of the Hamilton CIB.

"It is important investigators hear from anyone who saw what has occurred and we ask these people to come forward."

One man at the crash scene said the woman's car was a "complete write-off".

"I was there when they towed it away and let's just say it was a mess".

Traffic diversions were still in place several hours after the crash as police investigators made road markings and photographed the intersection. The Northern Connector bus was parked on Ulster St with a police guard on duty.

The front right-hand side of the bus was extensively damaged, with the front windscreen also smashed.

At least seven police units attended the crash - plus specialist investigators - as well as two ambulances.

Waikato Times