Man escapes Southland fire

05:06, Jan 02 2014
Kennington Store Fire
A man watches firefighters attend a fire in the building he is understood to have lived in, in Kennington Rd, Southland.
Kennington Store Fire
Firefighters attended a fire in Kennington Rd, Southland.
Kennington Store Fire
Firefighters attended a fire in Kennington Rd, Southland.
Kennington Store Fire
Firefighters attended a fire in Kennington Rd.
Kennington Store Fire
Firefighters attended a fire in Kennington Rd.

A Southland man escaped certain death after getting out of a building he used as shelter when it went up in flames this morning, witnesses say. 

The elderly man was taken to Southland Hospital with smoke inhalation and was in a serious condition after the old Kennington store building was destroyed by fire.

Fire crews from Invercargill and Wallacetown were called to Kennington Rd at 8.20am.

Southland Times photo
Firefighters putting out a fire at the old Kennington store this morning.

Invercargill senior station officer Peter Thwaites said the fire could be seen from Invercargill.

When crews arrived they were confronted by flames and plenty of smoke, he said.

The initial reports received from a resident in Kennington Rd, who called in the fire, said an elderly ''homeless man'' used the old store for shelter and was believed to be staying in it when fire engulfed the building.

Advertisement

When the first fire crew arrived, they searched the building for the man. 

However, he had escaped and was with nearby residents, Thwaites said.

Kennington resident Michael Grantham who called 111 said he noticed thick smoke and went to investigate. 

After seeing the flames he called the fire service straight away.

Willie Fraser, another Kennington Rd resident, said the man would most certainly have not made it if he hadn't got out before flames took hold.

''He told us he had just put some hot ashes outside then went back inside when everything went dark,'' Fraser said.

It was a relief to see the man emerge from the building but his hair was singed, he said.

An ambulance communications spokesman said an elderly man was taken to Southland Hospital in a serious condition due to smoke-inhalation.

Firefighters remained at the scene dampening down the ashes.

The Southland Times