'I didn't want to kill Guy. I miss him already'

03:04, Feb 12 2014
Lucille Sarah Scollay
MURDEROUS INTENT?: The Crown will try to prove Lucille Sarah Scollay had murderous intent or knew her actions were likely to cause death.

"One stupid thought and I killed him. I loved him. Why did I do it?" said a distressed Lucille Sarah Scollay when she was with police in the hours after she had stabbed her husband to death.

Constable Barbara Morse said Scollay, 45, was distressed, crying and on her hands and knees when Morse arrived at the Edgeware Rd scene at 3.10am on February 10 last year.

Guy Christian Scollay had been stabbed about 15 minutes earlier.

Scollay denies the charge of murdering him.

Her defence counsel, Rupert Glover, has told the trial in the High Court at Christchurch that Scollay accepted the only possible verdicts were guilty of murder or manslaughter.

Morse this morning quoted Scollay as saying: "I killed him. Oh God. Oh God. I'm so sorry, Guy. What the f... happened? I don't believe it."

Morse said Scollay continued to be distressed and tearful and talked constantly in an interview room at the police station.

Scollay had said: "I don't know how I did it. It's wicked, just wicked.

"My poor son [Louis Scollay, then aged 19, who was at the house at the time]. How am I going to face anybody after this. It's just too heinous."

Scollay had said she did not mean to kill her husband but just wanted things to change, Morse said.

"I loved him but I could not help him. I just destroyed everything."

She had also said: "I just felt trapped, helpless – that's not a defence, is it?"

The trial has been told that the couple had been married for 20 years, but Guy Scollay had been debilitated with fear of outdoor spaces, apparent anxiety, and drug addiction for many years. He had barely gone out of the house and was on the methadone programme.

Scollay was also depressed, on medication, and had been on the methadone programme herself.

Morse said Scollay had talked about why the ambulance had not arrived sooner after the stabbing.

Detective Rachel Jefferies interviewed and later arrested Scollay for murder.

Scollay had told her: "How can I have done that to him. He's not bad. We were just miserable. I can't believe I did that. What was I thinking."

She had said: "I didn't want to kill Guy. I miss him already."

Jefferies recorded Scollay saying: "God, Guy, please forgive me. We can't keep living like this. We are miserable. I love him. He's so damaged. We both are. I don't want him to die. I just want him to change."

Scollay told the police that she and her husband had never had a conversation about assisting him with suicide.

A forensic scientist for Environmental Science and Research (ESR), Wendy James, said she examined the Scollays' Edgeware Rd house on the day of the murder.

Guy Scollay was lying on his back on the floor of a bedroom, with medical equipment about, and a black-handled knife on top of a stack of books on the floor. The body had an oval-shaped wound near the left nipple.

She described the pattern of blood stains in the bedroom. Extensive blood staining in the bed indicated that Guy Scollay had been stationary in the centre of the bed for a time after receiving his injury.

Possible blood staining was found by testing in the laundry and bathroom, and blood was found on the knife.

Another forensic toxicologist at ESR, Samantha Coward, said she analysed a blood sample from Scollay. The sample taken at 7.30am on the day of the homicide showed a level of 93 milligrams of alcohol to 100 millilitres of blood.

Assuming a normal rate of "clearing" alcohol by her body, she estimated the level of alcohol at the time of the stabbing – about 2.55am – would have been between 138mg and 183mg. The legal driving limit is 80mg.

Forensic scientist Richard Wivell said DNA analysis showed extremely strong indications that the blood from the knife blade and on the washing machine in the laundry came from Guy Scollay.

Justice Cameron Mander has told the jury that it was expected that the trial would finish hearing all the evidence today, which is just the second day of the trial, and the jury would retire to consider its verdict tomorrow.

The jury was going to watch the DVD recording of the police interview with Scollay today.


Louis Scollay
TRIED TO SAVE FATHER: Louis Scollay, pictured in Feburary 2013, called 111 after the fatal stabbing.

The Press