Hospital dash after wasp sting
An elderly woman had to be flown to Auckland hospital after a wasp sting left her unable to breathe.
The woman, in her 70s, was stung by the insect in Warkworth, north of the city, yesterday at lunchtime. An allergic reaction saw her throat swell so much it blocked her airways.
Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust paramedic Ross Aitken said the woman was initially treated by ambulance and a doctor, but her body failed to respond to the adrenaline.
The helicopter was called and provided further treatment on the way to hospital, but she still didn't respond and was in a critical condition by the time it arrived.
Fortunately, she had been well enough at the time of the ambulance's arrival to tell them it was a wasp sting.
Aitken said it wasn't the first time they had been called to a patient suffering anaphylactic shock - often cases were urgent as people could suffer badly from face swelling and breathing problems.
The woman was expected to stay in hospital overnight to recover.
- © Fairfax NZ News