Mountainbiker stung, air rescue needed
A man suffering a severe allergic reaction to a bee sting while mountain biking in the Hunua Ranges south of Auckland, had to be winched to safety this morning.
The Westpac Rescue Helicopter had to respond to the emergency at around 10am after ambulance services were unable to reach his very remote location.
A paramedic was winched to the man who was suffering from anaphylaxis after being stung by a bee, because the helicopter could not find anywhere to land.
“They were quite a way down the track in an isolated area. It was a very rough part of the ranges,” said crewman Dean Harvey.
His friends had already administered antihistamine and adrenaline was not required to treat the potentially life-threatening reaction.
He was lucky to be in a group well-prepared with medical supplies, Harvey said.
“He was in a stable state, (but) the isolation he was in, he could have gone the other way as well,” he said.
The man was winched out of the forest 15 minutes later and taken to Auckland hospital.