Cyanide sparks cordon

Last updated 09:49 11/04/2014

Relevant offers

A 47-year-old man has been taken to hospital and a house in Central Otago cordoned off after concerns about cyanide.

A Fire Service Hazmat team was en route from Dunedin after an incident in Bannockburn this morning.

In a police statement, Central Otago sub-area commander Senior Sergeant Ian Kerrisk said the incident happened near Bannockburn at 6.15am.

Kerrisk said an area around the man's house in Bannockburn Cromwell Rd was cordoned off, and the man found by police about 8am.

The man was taken to Dunstan Hospital to be assessed and police, fire and St John amublance staff, who attended the scene, were decontaminated at the scene because of a risk related to the presence of cyanide.

Police said there was no risk to residents outside of the immediate address.

A police spokesperson confirmed this morning the incident was not related to a p-lab.

No further details were available. 

 

Ad Feedback

- The Southland Times

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content

Quiz SMALL pointer June 26

Daily trivia fix

Is chess your forte?