Aucklanders: Free Stuff alerts on WhatsApp
Note: this service was discontinued in June 2016.
Stuff.co.nz's Auckland readers can now sign up to get the day's major news sent directly to their smartphones with a new service using WhatsApp.
Start off the day with everything you need to know about what's going on in Auckland - weather, traffic woes and the biggest stories of the day.
WhatsApp is one of the fastest growing messaging apps which works across all smartphone platforms, including iPhone, Android, Windows Phone and Blackberry.
WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
We'll send you alerts each morning and evening with a run-down of the biggest stories of the day and stuff you should know. Never miss out on breaking news with alerts sent straight to your phone. You can also respond to our messages, send us your pics and thoughts on the news of the day.
WHY IS THIS ONLY FOR AUCKLANDERS?
We're targeting our biggest city for launch. Once we're established, if readers like the service and the content then we may look to roll it out to other areas to deliver alerts about what's relevant to their part of the country.
GOOD STUFF! HOW DO I SIGN UP?
You'll need to download WhatsApp to your smartphone and make sure notifications are switched on.
Add the Stuff.co.nz WhatsApp number 027 807 3587 to your phone list as Stuff.co.nz. Text us with your full name so we can put your details in our phone and add you to the WhatsApp broadcast list. By texting us you agree to the terms and conditions below.
This service will not work unless you have saved the Stuff number to your phone and you have downloaded WhatsApp.
If you have any questions or comments about the service email us at email@example.com. We'd love to hear from you!
Stuff.co.nz WhatsApp News Alerts terms and conditions
By signing up for this service you agree to the following terms and conditions of use.
"Message" means an SMS (Short Message Service) sent through WhatsApp;
"Service" means the [Stuff.co.nz WhatsApp New Alerts];
"We" and "Us" means Fairfax New Zealand Limited;
"Website" means [Stuff.co.nz];
"WhatsApp" means a free to download cross-platform mobile messaging app for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia that uses the internet for communication;
"You" means the user of the Service.
2. The Service operates through WhatsApp which You can download to your smart phone subject to WhatsApp's standard terms and conditions of use. There are no charges associated with the Service.
4. If you wish to opt out of the Service at any time You must remove Stuff.co.nz from your contacts list within the WhatsApp application and send a Whatsapp message to Stuff with the word "unsubscribe" along with your phone number. Once Stuff.co.nz have been removed as a contact you will no longer receive messages from Us and you will have un-subscribed from the Service[LB1] . You can deactivate and reactivate the service via the Website at any time.
5. By signing up for the Services You agree to:
(a) Abide by these Terms and Conditions, as updated on the Website from time to time.
(b) Not use the Service for any purpose other than your own personal use. In particular, you must not re-supply the Service or any Messages as part of any similar service (whether this is for payment or not).
(c) Make use of the Service for lawful purposes only.
(d) Notify us promptly of any changes to your mobile phone details.
(e) Not to gain unauthorised access to the Service, other accounts, computer systems or networks connected to the Service, through password mining or any other means.
(f) Not Interfere with anyone else's use of the Service.
6. We may terminate your use of the Service at any time for any reason (including, without limitation, for a failure to abide by clause 5 or for sending abusive or inappropriate messages to us).
7. The use of the Service is at your sole risk. The Service is provided on an "as is" basis. We do not guarantee that the Service will meet your requirements, or will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error free. We do not guarantee that the information contained in the Messages will always be correct although we will use our best endeavors to make sure that it is.
8. We may change these Terms and Conditions without notice at any time with immediate effect. All changes are effective from the date of posting on the Website. It is your responsibility to monitor amendments to these Terms and Conditions. If you continue to use the Service after these Terms and Conditions have been changed, you will be deemed to have agreed to the changed Terms and Conditions.